Skip to main content

Protecting Children Online

My county has long had several people who have done exhaustive research before approving the use of websites requiring logins.  Indeed during all 6000+ posts of mine I do not think I have done more than a handful of them talking about this topic.  But two weeks ago my wife and I decided to finally give smartphones to our 8th grade daughters.  While we are still not allowing them to use social media, we also know that we will soon have to use an app to monitor their online presence - be it on a smartphone, their Chromebook, Kindle or their much less used iTouch.

So here is my first, I am sure, of many posts discussing protecting our students as told from the parents side of the equation.  First off a new blog I am just starting to follow is TechSavvyMamma written by a DC area mom who was an educator and technology expert.  She posts every two to three days.

Secondly, here is an amazing overview of so much of what parents need to know.  It starts with best practices (setting guidelines), goes through many of the most popular social media apps (Snapchat, Kik, Instagram, etc.).  It then shows how you can go to settings and set up parental controls as well as mention some of the best parental apps out there to protect kids.

Speaking of what apps to use for student protection, this site and this one are a start.

While school systems can certainly not promote one site over another, giving parents information about how to best deal with online predators, not to mention deviants from doing homework and being better prepared for school is an issue that many schools are now grappling with and so I will be posting on it from time to time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exporting a Blackboard Test To Word

For those of you who want out of Blackboard (the Microsoft of platforms), one of the hardest things to move are tests.   A quick way that may work in most cases is on the video above, but here and here are guaranteed ways to fully convert a Blackboard file to a Word document. Of course if you want to go the other way, here is a post on how to convert a Word document into a Blackboard test. 

How to Flip Your Classroom

One of the schools, Chantilly, is going one to one this year.  As part of that the teachers will be redoing how they teach.   One of the ways they are looking at is flipping .  So I was asked to teach some presentations on it.  You can follow everything I teach as all of my links and videos will be on this page.  We will start by taking a survey at tinyurl.com/chantillyinservice We will be learning how to create a short flip (defined) using Screencastomatic and what images, slides, short video and information might go into it.  You can also make them using the  Snagit extension here  (and here is how to use it) discuss that you can always use others' videos such as ( history and science , math  and  grammar ) contemplate how to make sure teachers are watching the video in part using a Google Drive form  or even to how to make your own YouTube playlist (2:20 in this video ) use Remind ( resources ) to literally remi...

Rethinking Teaching Using AI

  Rethinking Teaching using AI Math Example My AI Education Jan 13, 2025 First off I admit that I was never particularly good at math once I reached calculus. But what bothered me all along was not understanding the real world examples. Yes, some math sets have word problems, but not nearly enough. Wouldn’t it be great if instead of just doing problem sets (yes I know these are necessary) each set included several real world examples as did exams. For example, I asked  ChatGPT to do just that for Algebra I and Calculus. My prompt for Algebra I was: Can you give me five examples of how I can connect an Algebra I class to real world examples. Include both the Virginial SOL that is being taught and the real world example. One example I got for this was Scenario : You’re budgeting for a party. You have $200, and decorations cost $50. Each guest will cost $15 for food. Write and solve an equation to find how many guests you can invite. Equation : 15x+50=20015x + 50 = 20015x+50=200 ...